~Kat, I’ve got a 50 watt LED grow lamp that gives off both red and blue to make a purple hue. We have members from all around the world, and many of us are ditching the bad news and stress of 2020 to play with our succulents! I always kill them.” This may seem like a paradox, but succulents and cacti can be the very easiest or the most challenging houseplants, depending on your environment and the care you give them. This is where they belong! Please feel free to write in with any questions – I am happy to help! If this is not the situation you have, please snap a photo and send it to me so that I can see what you are seeing? It just won’t be bright enough or warm enough to cause the kind of stress than makes succulents more colorful. This way, you don’t overburden your plants with too much stress too soon. Thanks. Help! I just need some clarification on increasing exposure to sun for 30 minutes every third day. I know just what you mean about feeling sorry for them! We asked our in-house photographer and social media manager for her top 5 tricks to creating the gorgeous succulent photos you see on our feed, and she delivered! 3:40. In my experience, many end up turning green after a few months. Instead, unless you know precisely the temps your succulent can tolerate, just let the change in seasons produce color change gradually due to temperature shifts. When it was getting plenty of water in a cool (but not cold) environment, it stayed a deep green color. Succulents with squishy, transparent leaves are showing signs of overwatering. I’m always a little envious of the colorful succulents I see in southern California gardens! Color: Black. And the reverse is true, too. var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bc5svf5ko","width":600,"height":100,"t":1533000663,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; Yet another good indication is when the plant’s name does not seem to match its look. You can mimic the changes of the seasons by gradually adjusting the sun exposure for your plants. Copyright 2013-2020 Succulents and Sunshine LLC. Stress and the production of anthocyanin in response to it is simply a set of natural conditions that succulents have adapted to over millennia. It’s a great group of people and we’re all eager to help others! We’ll show you how. If your head is spinning about whether to water more or less, just know that it’s pretty hard to kill a succulent. Wonderful and interesting post. If not, I will still enjoy this beautiful plant. The Sempervivum ‘Jowan’ above demonstrates just how colorful a change of seasons can be for cold-hardy succulents. Thanks SO much, Linda! Although we usually think of “stress” as something very negative and to be prevented, physical stress is much broader than that. Between the extra time and attention this requires, and the serious risk of sunburn if something prevents you from moving it back again, I would urge that you get some shade cloth to make the lighting for your succulents more flexible. The goal is to increase the light your succulent receives without risking sunburn by moving it into too much sun too quickly. It truly is kinder to give the conditions they will thrive in. I also read the article of stressing our babies for them to be beautiful. ~Kat. But it will keep them healthy! Instead, take it very s-l-o-w-l-y, just as you should for yourself. Asked June 28, 2018, 7:21 AM EDT. Thank you for sharing this. Succulents have adapted for millennia to conditions with too much heat and not enough water for other plants. Same idea. You don’t pay any extra but the commissions help us provide free information on the website. Those plants you have growing in pots can be moved under shelter in the case of a drenching rain or hail storm. It sounds like you have them growing outdoors, in quite a bit of sun, yes? But again – too much, too soon and you are risking serious injury. Above, is Echeveria ‘Melaco’, which means “molasses”. Because life is just better with succulents! Hi Tammie, As you begin stressing your succulents for color changes, try just one approach at a time. Other types of colorful succulents need a lot of sun to maintain their vibrant color.